Search This Blog

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Guts and Glory

Auburn softball made an announcement today. They said, to the rest of the softball world, "Hello softball world. This is Auburn softball. Get used to us because we are not going away." 
 
 
This Auburn softball team has been a joy to watch. I mean it. Even if they are down in the score, they believe they can and will win. Some people today mentioned it looked like they were playing to 'not lose' but I disagree. I saw something completely different. I saw a team playing with a sureness so they did not overswing or panic. 

They have gotten a lot of attention for their home runs and offense which is deserved. However, that is one amazing defense. I love softball. I played it most of my life. At the time I went to college, there was not much college softball, so after high school I didn't play much competitively. I loved every second of it. I love that now my nieces play so I can still be a part of it. 

The last team I played for was something special. We had played together when we were young. There were some years when we were split up because of age gaps in grouping. There were years when we were not very good. We stuck together. By the time I was in 10th grade, we had something special. I see that something special in this team. The double plays made today were truly spectacular. If you have not played, those kind of 'unusual' double plays must be practiced hundreds of times to be that automatic. I love to see how they respond to their coaches and each other. No one is selfish; they play as part of a whole.

I also have to say this. Carlee Wallace has guts. I have mentioned before that I played catcher. I am about the same exact size as Carlee. I had my share of injuries from home plate collisions, but never anything as scary as what she experienced last week. I've broken my thumb twice, my nose (2 surgeries to correct it) and cracked my wrist. It can be scary after an injury to get in front of that plate again, but today I saw Carlee grab that ball and make a play, unafraid.  Every one of these players is contributing each game and it is really something special to see. 

I don't know about you, but I cannot wait to see what they can do in OKC. I wish I could go! Hope lots of you are going to cheer for our girls!

No comments: