Search This Blog

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Randy's Thoughts: Ole Miss 2014




I have witnessed a lot of Auburn football games and I keep thinking that I have seen the best and then this game happens. This game will certainly now be in my top 10 and Auburn somehow came out with the win with a remarkable ending. 

The win must be a sign for the future of Auburn football because I was at Chastain Park in the ATL today and I found this print by Richard Russell at the art show. As the caption says, I now think that Auburn is "Ascending to New Heights". 


My stars of the game were CAP for rushing for 143 yards, Sammie Coates for making several key receptions, Nick Marshall for engineering 5 touchdowns and Kris Frost. A star for Cassanova McKinzy for recovering the fumble in the end zone at the end of the game.


Of course, Auburn once again overcame various penalties that amounted to 145 yards. It did seem that the referees wanted the viewers to know that they were a part of this game because it appeared that they were throwing a flag on every play. This crew along with the crew under Tom Ritter all need to sit down and read the rule book. Some calls were warranted; however, some of the interference and holding calls on Auburn were borderline. Hopefully, someone at the SEC office is reviewing the performance of these referees and offering training so that they can do a better job.


The defense did struggle at times, but did come up with two big turnovers that helped to win the game. I just have one observation on offense. I do feel that Auburn should stick to the ground on the third and short plays particularly in the second half. Auburn's run game only gets better later in the game and the opposing defense is often tired of making tackles. 


Now it is time for the Texas A&M game and I will be in Auburn to see this game. I still remember the 2012 game and Auburn had no answer for "Johnny Football" that day. Also, I heard a Texas A&M coach mention after the game that he wanted to score 80 on Auburn that day. I am sure that this game will be mentioned in Coach Malzahn's pregame speech and the result will be much different this time. 


I do wish Treadwell of Ole Miss the best in his recovery from his injury. I do remember that he was recruited by Auburn and I am sure that he knew a lot of the Auburn players.


If you see me around the Auburn campus on game days, please say hello.


Enjoy the week and War Eagle!

No comments: