Search This Blog

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Epic Iron Bowl Memories

A possible epic iron bowl is approaching and I will be pulling out my auburn sweat shirt for this game from the Bo Jackson era. I still regret missing the 1972 and 1989 Auburn/Alabama games. 1972 was my first year at Auburn and I was in class with a lot of the guys on that team.
 No one that I knew on campus thought that Auburn had a chance in that game so like so many others, I sold my $2 student tickets and went deer hunting.
 I did listen to that game on the deer stand, just wishing I had decided to attend. As I mentioned on a previous post, I did have my transistor radio dangling from a tree limb in the woods and a doe approached as Auburn scored the winning TD. She just stood there and looked at me has I was cheering in the woods.

In 1989, I was living in Dallas, Texas and was unable to get home due to a business meeting. I was invited to an Auburn/Alabama viewing party on the TCU campus in Fort Worth, Texas. The place was packed with fans from both teams. Of course, Alabama was favored and Auburn won the field that day 20-10.  
I will not be missing this game. Could this be a repeat of history?

No comments: