Search This Blog

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Baseball 2018 Senior Thanks



A Special Team and Season to Remember


Photo Courtesy of @golfwhizkid (Chandler Fullman) AKA Auburn Superfan

Wow, what a season! Every now and then, the fans get treated to something special. It does not always happen when you put the best of the best on the field. A team can win the national championship and not have it, but the "it" sure helps. This baseball team definitely had "it." I think the "it factor" is best explained by the phenomenon known as synergy which is the rare times when a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. This 2018 team definitely had that "it factor." Sure, some of the players are truly incredible, but when they combined together, it was something amazing. We got to see some great things individually, like seeing Casey be drafted #1. However, I think the best thing was the total team effort and the "you before me" that the players and coaches showed throughout the season. For all of the players, we are truly thankful for a great and amazing season. For the seniors, the Auburn family cannot thank you enough for what you have done for Auburn baseball. This season had #SCTop10 plays, a regional championship, a first-time Super Regional appearance and win, and many other memories.

Photo used with permission from @kkornerAU


I have always liked baseball. I do not care that much for professional baseball, but I will take it.(I really do have a story why, but it does not belong here)  The high school I attended was an incredible baseball team. The high school where I teach has an incredible baseball program. I always played softball and of course, I am still very involved with my nieces' softball. My two colleges, Auburn and Southern Miss are also traditionally very good in baseball, so I am quite spoiled. There is just something special to me about the unpaid fellas. Baseball is one of the harder sports for me to watch because we are constantly at the ball park ourselves with my nieces who play. I help to coach the teams they play on- my job as you might expect is the stat keeper.


Used with permission from @kkornerAU 


That last game of the super regionals was something for the ages. All the other games were over. Everyone was tuned in to watch. No one knew what great play was going to be made next. My favorite thing about sports with Twitter is how we can all watch the game together. It is super fun for me to see all of the other Auburn athletes tuned in and supporting one another. This game was special. I really hated that it had to end. I mean, Jose Canseco tweeted Steven! How incredible is that? We'll be back soon and we will make it to Omaha. I always write a special thank you to the seniors for each Auburn sport, and this one was pretty fun to write.

As always, these are just in the order that I wrote the names down from the roster!

Photo used with permission from @kkornerAU


Josh Anthony- I really had a lot of fun watching you. You have demonstrated a love for Auburn that is appreciated beyond just a simple thank you. You are a team player. You do what is needed. That is the best example and legacy that you could possibly leave. You were part of a very special double play that could only be completed by members of a TEAM!! I know that in the future Auburn will be playing in the CWS. The work and foundation that you helped to put down will be part of the reason. One thing that I noticed is that you always seem to have fun. Where there isn't any, you make some fun. I don't know what the future holds for you, but I do know that it will be full of great things and you will be a part of something wonderful. Thank you for everything you have done. I know we will see great things from you in the future. You gave this Auburn fan a reason to celebrate and enjoy this baseball season. Be sure to come and visit when you can. Keep in touch with your Auburn family. You always have a home with us. War Eagle!

Photo courtesy of @golfwhizkid (Chandler Fullman) AKA Auburn Superfan



Luke Jarvis- I have had the privilege of being your "prayer person" the last couple of years through the Prayers4Players organization. It has been a real pleasure. Congrats on your All- SEC team! You thanked the Auburn family, but we want to thank you! Thank you for an AMAZING season. Your dedication to the team and to Auburn has been truly appreciated. Of course, your great hit at a great time is something that will be remembered for a long time. In my softball days, I always wanted to hit a walk-off. One day soon, Auburn will make it to the CWS and your work will be part of that when it happens. Thank you for giving this Auburn fan joy in the postseason! Thank you for all of your dedication to Auburn. We appreciate it more than I can ever express to any of you. Good luck with your future in baseball. I know we will be seeing great things from you in the future. War Eagle!


Photo used with permission from @kkornerAU

Andrew Mitchell-I know that the pitchers mound can be a lonely place. My 11 year old niece is pitching, and this past year, she was basically the only pitcher the team had. It's a lot different from your level, but it's still difficult. I have witnessed first hand the intense scrutiny the pitchers go through. Thank you for your time and dedication to Auburn. This season especially is one that we will never forget. Your work and dedication has not gone unnoticed. You reached your goal of accomplishing something great!  Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. I know we will see great things from you in the future. Good luck with your baseball career! We will be sure to follow you. Come back and visit us when you can. You always have a family with Auburn. War Eagle!


Photo used with permission from @kkornerAU

Corey Hearndon- It is clear from this team that there are "team players" everywhere. It is easy to see that you are a team player. The team matters more than any individual accomplishment.  Without the team players, this season would not have been possible. Thank you for your time and dedication to Auburn. There are so many things behind the scenes that most people/fans do not ever get a chance to see. Thank you. I know we are going to see great things from you in the future. Make sure you keep in touch with your Auburn family. This season was very special. Thank you for giving us some real fun throughout the season and in the postseason.  Your work has been noticed. You always will have a place at Auburn. War Eagle!

Photo used with permission from @kkornerAU

Bowen McGuffin- This has been an amazing season to watch. It has been amazing to watch because it has been a total and complete team effort. Thank you for being such a big part of it. Without the team and team players, it would not have happened. This was a special season where the whole was something amazing. Maybe one day you can post a video of you and Jay playing ping pong. Seriously, thank you for a fun and incredible season. Thank you for your time and dedication to Auburn. One day soon, Auburn will go to the CWS and the foundation that you all put down will be part of it. Thanks for everything. I know there will be great things in your future. Keep in touch with your Auburn family. War Eagle!

Photo used with permission from @calvin_coker



Calvin Coker- Like I mentioned to someone else, I know the pitcher's mound can be a really lonely place sometimes, but at other times, it can be top of the world. Most people never get to see the little extras that have to be done to pitch. Thank you for your time, effort and dedication to Auburn.  This season was really special and it was a ton of fun to watch yall. By the way, that hair is truly fabulous. We are all really excited for your future in baseball. The big league better watch out for The Cobra. I know we will see great things from you. Be sure to keep in touch with your Auburn family. Thank you for a really great season. Come and visit when you can. Please know you always have a home at Auburn. War Eagle!



Jay Estes- I'll tell you what. That play in the outfield was one of the best plays I have ever seen. I am not sure how you were able to throw it after you caught it. Thank you for your years at Auburn. This season was truly amazing. To see how ya'll battled and fought to continue a season that was for the ages was amazing. I know we are going to see big things in your baseball future. Thank you for all of your time and dedication to Auburn. It really was incredible. It has been a long time since I have been a student but this season found me wanting to be a student. One great thing about Auburn is that if you are part of the Auburn family, it doesn't matter if you are a student, a graduate or a fan. We love Auburn. Thank you for what you have done. One day in the near future, Auburn will make the CWS and what you all did this season will be part of that. Stay in touch with your Auburn family. You always have a home with us. War Eagle!










Dylan Ingram- It really has been a truly spectacular year with Auburn sports. The baseball team had some special kind of magic. It was incredible to watch develop and play out into something special. Thank you so much for everything. I know there are tons of things that happen behind the scenes that most of us fans never see. I know that every single player and coach had to buy in to make it work. Thank you for your work and diligence. It was noticed and appreciated. One day really soon, Auburn will make it to the College World Series, and when that happens, your work will be a big part of the reason that Auburn makes it. I know we will hear and see great things from you in the future. Remember you always have a home at Auburn. Come and visit when you can. War Eagle!


Photo used with permission from @kkornerAU



Casey Mize- I know you are not quite a senior but I am including you because we know you are going to be leaving. Thank you so much for everything you did for Auburn. From the no-hitter to 15 Ks to being drafted #1, you surely gave us something special to watch. It has always been fun to watch you pitch. My niece has been pitching for 2 years (in fastpitch softball, of course) and I have gained a little understanding into the confidence needed for a pitcher. Thank you for giving her an example of how to take control of the mound. (or circle, as the case may be) Seriously, thank you for everything you have done for Auburn. One day soon, Auburn will make the CWS and the work you have done will be part of that when they get there. We are looking forward to watching you pitch in the Big League REALLY soon. I know we are going to see great things from you. Thank you for everything you have already done for Auburn. You will always have a home with us. Keep in touch with your Auburn family! War Eagle!


No comments: