Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2016

An Auburn Football Season with Questions

Inside be-AU-tiful Jordan-Hare Stadium
                                                            


Another Auburn football season is upon us and we will all know the outcome of the Auburn/Clemson game by this time in 2 weeks. Of course, I have heard very few positive comments about the Auburn football program, so expectations will not be that high. Here are some of the questions that I have been asked about this Auburn team and some speculation on my part.

1) Who will Auburn start at QB?

Regardless of who does start against Clemson, the goal is to win football games. I like John Franklin; however, Sean White may have a better grasp of the offense by game time. I expect to see two quarterbacks play against Clemson. Also, Woody Barrett could get some snaps during the season.

2) How will Auburn's defense play this season?

I think that Auburn's defense will be improved. Carl Lawson will be a star and watch out for T.J. Neal at linebacker. I am hoping that Byron Cowart will be able to assist Carl Lawson at the other defensive end position. Auburn should be able to put some heat on opposing quarterbacks this season starting with Clemson.                  

3) Who will play running back now that Jovon Robinson is gone?

I look for Kerryon Johnson to start at the running back position. Chandler Cox and Kamryn Pettway may rotate at the halfback position. Could Auburn have two backs in the backfield this season?

4) How is Auburn's offensive line?

They should be solid and I expect them to open up some holes. Braden Smith and Alex Kozan should be all SEC. Also, I look forward to watching Austin Golson play center.

5) Will Auburn make use of the tight end this season? 

With Jalen Harris and Landon Rice on the roster, Gus Malzahn and Rhett Laslee have got to call their number at times. I see a great opportunity for some play action.

6) How will Auburn's defensive backfield look this season?

Jonathan Ford and Tray Matthews will play safety and Carlton Davis will be more experienced at cornerback. We should remember that Jonathan Ford was recruited as a running back so he may get his chance to run the ball some this season.

7) How is Auburn's kicking game?

Solid. Daniel Carlson should be all SEC and Kevin Phillips can punt well. Kevin averaged 45 yards a punt on A Day and he can run and throw the ball well. I look for a few trick plays involving Kevin this season. 


8) How is Auburn at the wide receiver position? 

I think that the Auburn quarterback (whoever that will be) will have better targets to throw at this season. I look for Tony Stevens and Marcus Davis to start. Also, Jason Smith will be in the mix and watch out for Nate Craig-Myers, Kyle Davis and Eli Stove to play as freshmen.              
I plan to enjoy the season and support this team. Auburn has players that could emerge as stars. Very few people have actually seen this Auburn Football team practice so I find it difficult to make projections by what I see on paper. We just never know how an 18 to 22 year old player is going to perform at a specific time of day in a football game.

Enjoy the season and War Eagle!

No comments: