Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Lifetime of Memories

If you've been an Auburn fan for any length of time at all, you've dealt with ups and downs sports at Auburn. 

 I have been an Auburn fan all of my life- my parents met at Auburn. My grandfather also went, but I don't think it was Auburn University at that time.

 I grew up in a small town in south Alabama. Now it is more a suburb of Mobile, but at that time, it was not really suburbia. I don't recall there being any other Auburn fans in my classes in elementary school. 

 Probably many of you had similar experiences. Please pardon me if I digress in my stories of my childhood experiences. One thing reminds me of another. No one I went to school with went to college games, except for me. They were all raging Alabama fans though.

 I didn't really think anything of it at the time. I remember getting ragged relentlessly over Auburn/Alabama stuff, but I always wondered why none of them went to Auburn games. Never crossed my mind that EVERYONE didn't go!

 I didn't realize how lucky we were to be able to do this.  My parents were strict with us. If Alabama won and people called to tease, we were to be gracious in loss. If Auburn won, we were NOT allowed to call and tease anyone. One incident resulted in my having to write the Auburn Creed because 'we didn't act that way.' We would drive up for one or two games a year and meet up with my grandparents and aunt and uncle.

 After parking- RIGHT by the stadium- (anyone remember? There was a tiny lot on the stadium side of Haley Center?) and then we would all walk over to Anders. My dad worked there while in college and my grandmother was good friends with Rosemary Anders.

 In those days, the eagle cage was in front of the stadium. We would always stand in line to 'pet' the eagle. Did anyone else do this? I have a picture of myself with the eagle, but my 80s haircut is so atrocious that I am mortified by the photo.

 There was also a place to eat in the basement. I think it was Haley Center. My grandmother LOVED Maryland Turkey. If anyone else can remember some of these details, I would love to remember better! Then we would go to Tiger Walk and go in the game about two hours before kickoff!

 We only went over to Toomer's sometimes when I was a kid. When I was older, I went more often. After the game, we would go eat dinner at Morrison's or Piccadilly or a place along those lines.

 One game, there was a terrible storm after the game. My sister and I have both discussed this...something hit the top of the car, but we argue about whether it was a power line or tree branch!

  I said all that to lead up to this- many memories of my childhood are tied together with Auburn football. There have been seasons of heartbreak, seasons of  disappointment, and seasons of joy. Through the ups and downs, I wouldn't have it any other way.


Christy

No comments: