Search This Blog

Monday, November 18, 2013

My Thoughts Auburn vs UGA

 What an electric atmosphere! The fans energy fed the players. The players were making big time plays, and that fed the fans.



 For a little over three quarters the Auburn Tigers were in complete control of this game. I even remarked to a neutral minded friend of mine that the clock had just went under thirteen minutes in the 4th quarter and that Georgia seemed like they were never really in this game. I spoke too soon.

 I remember Todd Gurly telling the press earlier in the week, that they intended to come into Jordan-Hare, and play against the same people, the same defense, and take the energy away from our Tigers. I tweeted at the end of the third quarter that "I still had plenty of energy." I tweeted way too soon.

 For all the world it looked as though the Auburn defense was going to really keep that powerful Georgia offense in check, and allow Auburn to cruise to the victory.

 What transpired in the final quarter was nothing short of frightening. It was full of mistakes, and full of blown opportunities. I witnessed the worst 4th quarter by this Auburn team this season, bar none! With a 20 point lead at the 12:29 mark of the final period, Auburn allowed the improbable. UGA and their star QB Aaron Murray went on a tear thru the Auburn defense to the tune of 21 unanswered points. 

 It makes no difference if Aaron Murray was down or not prior to crossing the goal line. If you allow a team to come back on you like that, you shouldn't count on a referee to save your bacon by making the right call. In other words, if you play just well enough for a referee to be able to effect the outcome of the game, you didn't deserve to win in the first place.

 In the midst of all of that, with the defense playing worse than it had all season, with Murray just having scored the go ahead touchdown, and the play being reviewed. There was a familiar sound in my ears that warmed my heart. It started low in volume, I could barely make it our over the CBS crew talking about whatever it was they were talking about. The sound grew louder and louder, and my heart nearly exploded with joy! I sat in my chair with arguably the toughest SOB I have ever known in the chair beside me, and my eyes got misty as I started cheering along: It's great to be an Auburn Tiger! Over and over again until the call on the field was confirmed, It's great to be an Auburn Tiger!

 Luckily, Ricardo Louis, and the rest of the team were not ready to give up. And how could they after what the fans had just done? Louis answered with the greatest football catch in Auburn history.

War Eagle!

No comments: