2013 will be the 66th consecutive meeting between the Auburn Tigers and the Alabama Crimson Tide since the series renewed in 1948. Here are a few more interesting facts:
(1) Alabama leads the overall series 42-34-1.
(2) Since the series moved to a home/home on campus game, the record is 12-12.
(3) Since 1948, Alabama has outscored Auburn 1393 to 959. Since 1989, Alabama has outscored Auburn 525-397.
(4) The average margin of victory, since moving on campus, has been 12 points.
(5) This will be the 29th time since 1980 that at least one team is ranked in the AP Top 25 entering the Iron Bowl.
(6) The teams did not play for 41 years (from 1908 through 1947) because of a dispute between the schools over the 1908 contest.
(7) The 2013 Iron Bowl will be the 39th televised game in the series dating back to 1964. This will be the 20th consecutive televised broadcast.
(8) Alabama's longest winning streak in the Iron Bowl is 9 games (1973-1981).
(9) Auburn's longest winning streak in the series is 6 games (2002-2007).
(10) Since 1989:
Games at Auburn, Auburn is 7-4
Games at Tuscaloosa, Auburn is 5-2
Games at Birmingham, Alabama is 6-0
(11) Nick Marshall, Jeremy Johnson & Jonathan Wallace have combined for 1976 yards passing, with 15 TDs and 7 INTs.
(12) AJ McCarron has thrown for 2228 yards with 21 TDs and 5 INTs.
(13) Tre Mason leads the SEC in rushing with 1153 yards and 17TDs.
(14) TJ Yeldon is third in the SEC in rushing with 1022 yards and 12TDs.
(15) Sammie Coates is the fifth leading receiver in the SEC with 30 receptions for 687 yards and 5 TDs.
(16) Tre Mason leads the SEC in scoring with 108 pts.
(17) Cody Parkey is second in scoring with 89 pts, followed by Cade Foster of Alabama in fourth with 79 pts.
(18) Dee Ford is second in the SEC in sacks with 8.
(19) Most passes attempted in an Iron Bowl is 55 by Scott Hunter (Alabama) in 1969.
(20) Most pass completions in an Iron Bowl is 30 by Scott Hunter (Alabama) in 1969.
(21) Most pass yards in an Iron Bowl is 484 by Scott Hunter (Alabama) in 1969.
(22) Most pass receptions in an Iron Bowl is 10 by Julio Jones in 2010.
(21) Most receiving yards in an Iron Bowl is 187 by David Bailey in 1969.
(22) Must rushing attempts in an Iron Bowl is 42 by Johnny Musso in 1970.
(23) Most rushing yards in an Iron Bowl is 233 by Bobby Marlow in 1951.
(24) The longest field goal in the Iron Bowl is 52 yards by Van Tiffin in 1985.
(25) The longest kickoff return in an Iron Bowl is 107 yards by Ray Ogden in 1964.
(26) In 1971, both teams came into the Iron Bowl undefeated. Alabama was ranked #3 and Auburn was ranked #5. The game featured Heisman finalist Johnny Musso and the Heisman winner, Pat Sullivan. Alabama won the game 31-7 and clinched the SEC Championship.
(27) The 1981 Iron Bowl victory by the Crimson Tide gave head coach Paul "Bear" Bryant his 315th victory, passing Amos Alonzo Stagg's winning record.
Some of the famous game nicknames:
1967 - The Run in The Mud
1972 - Punt Bama Punt
1982 - Bo Over The Top
1983 - Bye-Bye Bo
1984 - Wrong Way Bo
1985 - The Kick
1986 - Reverse To Victory
1989 - The First Ever
1994 - The Inch That Stole Christmas
2000 - Shut Down In T-Town
2005 - Sacked Bama Sacked
2008 - The Beat Down in T-Town
2009 - The Drive
2010 - The Cam-Back
(Photos courtesy of Google Images)