Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Top 10 Reasons: #7 Tailgating

photo via Google Images

In 1994 I had the privilege of being at the LSU game known as "The Interception Game." As I was sitting in the section that was allocated for the visiting fans, my friend and I were surrounded by LSU fans.

After Brian Robinson returned his interception for a pick six, the place where I was sitting became a little too uncomfortable.  We decided to leave. 

Fortunately for us, I had brought along my radio headset so I could listen to Jim Fyffe and company during halftime. So, as we entered into the tunnel, I tuned into the end of the game. Out thru the gate and into the street we went, all along, I was relaying to my friend the play by play as Jim called it. 

Soon, we were being surrounded by Auburn fans wanting to know what was going on, and I kept getting louder with my relay of the Jim Fyffe calls. When Chris Schelling made the final interception in the Auburn end of the field, there seemed like there were at least a hundred of us dancing in the middle of the intersection. 

We had more than a few invitations to join folks at their tailgate location, and so began my introduction to the Auburn Family tailgate.

Since then many things have changed, except one constant. The open arms of the Auburn. Just stop by almost any tailgate, and start talking to the families, or groups of people and you soon will be invited to join in on the entire experience. 

In recent years I have joined my buddy Paul and his wonderful family at their tailgate before each game Always welcoming me with open arms. 

Last season I had the pleasure of joining Marsha, Bill and their family at their tailgate. Once again proving the hospitality of the Auburn tailgating experience. 

There is nothing else like it. Proving without a shadow of a doubt that Auburn Tailgating is one of the Top 10 reasons to be excited about Auburn football.

WAR EAGLE!

No comments: