Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Rah Rah Rah

     Photo from my personal collection @tatershell    

If you've been an Auburn fan for any length of time, you've been a fan through good times and bad. That is one of my favorite things about the Auburn family. We love our team, no matter what. 

One of my favorite memories took place when I was about 8. I do not remember who we were playing, but we were losing. The game was almost over. We were behind by a good bit.  

From an early age, my parents taught me to never, ever leave a game early. We were sitting in the end zone.  An older gentleman sitting down the row from us stood up and yelled, "Don't worry, Auburn! You can still do it!" You know what? We did. 

I don't remember the game, the opposite team, or what year it was. What I remember was the electric Auburn spirit that was in the stadium, even when it looked like defeat was near.  There were plenty of games we did not win over the years. For a while, my family considered me a jinx for SEC home games. Just kidding. (Well, sort of)  
Growing up, we went to one game a year, but as we got older, my grandparents were unable to attend every game, so we started splitting the 'good tickets' among us over the season. I had a nice little losing streak for a while. However, my point is, the Auburn family has always been one to cheer the team on, no matter what.
The internet gives everyone an even playing field, so to speak. Normally quiet people are able to find a voice, negative or positive. This week, I have seen a whole lot of negative. 

Let's take this voice to be positive and support our fellas.  Am I absolutely a sunshine pumper? Yes, I am 100%. I try to take that outlook on life whether its football, work, friends, anything. 

I get that not everyone takes that approach. However, as fans, we can't change the outcome of the game.  What can we do? Support the players! Tell them we are cheering for them! I am not saying we cannot point out problems. However, when we speak to the players, online or in person, let's try to lift them up and let them know how much we love them!


I understand that some people get frustrated and that is ok. I get frustrated too. I am not a good companion during a game! We don't have to feel like a cherry-on-top Sundae when a game goes badly. 

A couple of weeks ago at school, something happened. I did not completely agree with the decision that was made, but I told my kids something that my parents taught me years ago. 

We cannot control many of the things that happen in life. What we can control is how we react to it. We can control how we treat people. We can control our attitude!


Now let's go win a game! 

War Eagle!

No comments: