Search This Blog

Monday, May 27, 2019

Not Once, But Twice A Tribute To Jim & Rod

Randy Comer:
It is Memorial Day and I am still reflecting on how fragile this life can be after the Auburn Family lost two of their own last Saturday evening. 

I now feel that a part of me will now be missing whenever Auburn plays a football game because Rod Bramblett will no longer be calling the games. It will be difficult for me to imagine today if anyone can match his talent at describing the play on the field. 

I first heard Rod calling baseball games in 1993 and I always thought that he would go on to another venue. I could actually sit in the stands, close my eyes and follow the game just listening to Rod. 

I had the pleasure of meeting Rod several times and he always remembered my name and asked about my family. I watched him many mornings prior to an Auburn football game taking the time to talk to people. Rod will be missed by the Auburn Family and I really hope the best for his two children. 

I will always remember Rod for two of his greatest calls in 2013. The "Miracle in Jordan-Hare" and the infamous "Kick Six". I will always remember where I was in the Auburn stadium when these calls were made. 

Here are the words of the infamous "Kick Six" that I keep on my I pad. I was one of those people on the field that night.

"Davis is gonna run it all the way back! Auburn is gonna win the football game! Auburn is gonna win the football game! He ran the missed field goal back! He ran it back 109 yards!"

"They're not gonna keep 'em off the field tonight! Holy Cow! Oh my God! Auburn wins! Auburn has won the Iron Bowl in the most unbelievable fashion you will ever see! I can not believe it! 34-28! And we thought a Miracle in Jordan-Hare was amazing! Oh my Lord in Heaven!"

War Eagle!

**A special thanks to @AURobUSA for editing and creating the tribute video. His work is truly appreciated.

Klell Lawrence:
The most difficult post I have ever attempted, bar none. 

Shaken with the death of Rod and Paula Bramblett,  I have wrestled with whether or not my thoughts were worth sharing. I was encouraged by the wonderful group of folks that write for our humble site to make the effort. So, here goes.

The people of my age that love Auburn have had the envious pleasure of hearing some truly memorable broadcasts of our Tigers. These calls gave us a sense of belonging. 

When the NCAA ruled a television ban against Auburn in 1993, we had Jim Fyffe articulating every aspect of the game including just how rich blue the sky was. 

For Auburn fans, we knew we had the best in the business working for us. Helping our minds visualize the entirety of the scene. Whether it be basketball or football. Then suddenly, Jim Fyffe was taken from us. 

"Every blessing has it's own little burden." - Unknown

Blessings being what they are, Auburn caught lightening in a bottle, not once, but twice! 

Enter Rod Bramblett. 

A friend of mine,  reached out in the immediate aftermath of our devastating news Saturday evening. "It's hard to follow a legend, and he (Rod Bramblett) did it." 

That resonates with me today. 

I have never heard anything but praise from those who knew Mr. Bramblett. Whether they worked with him, or met him in passing. He was a gentle spirit by all accounts. He will be missed. 

I can't think of a better soundtrack to blend the calls of these two Auburn legends, than that of the country music legend George Jones. "Whose Gonna Fill Their Shoes" ENJOY!


***Editors note: We don't make a profit at this site. We haven't any rights to the music or the audio portions of Auburn broadcasts. They have been used simply for tribute purposes.

WAR EAGLE EVERYBODY!

No comments: